Please turn in requests for Merit Badge Challenge by Tuesday November 6th
Merit Badge Challenge (MBC) is an annual event organized by Dan Beard Council as a great opportunity for Scouts to earn up to 3 merit badges by attending classes taught by certified counselors. Most of the merit badges offered are of the ‘indoor’ type and many are not offered at summer camp.
The event will be held at Fairfield High School on 3 Saturday mornings – January 26th, February 16th and March 16th. Scouts should plan on attending all 3 dates. Session times each Saturday are 8:30-9:45 (A), 10:00-11:15 (B), and 11:30-12:45 (C). With enough parent volunteers, we will be able to carpool to Fairfield. The cost is only $15 per Scout. Make checks out to Troop 850 or let me know if you want the $15 deducted from the Scout’s account.
For Scouts to attend, please refer to the 3 documents below and follow these steps —
- In the MBC-Schedule document on pages 8-11, find the merit badges offered at Fairfield and in what session (A, B, or C). For many merit badges there are strict age or rank restrictions and these are listed on page 6. A few merit badges last for 2 sessions (A-B or B-C) and 2 of them last for all 3 sessions (A-C).
- Eagle-Required merit badges are indicated with an ‘*’. All Troop 850 Scouts should take 1 Eagle-Required merit badge. If a Scout is 1st class or above, he may take 2 Eagle-Required merit badges.
- Select at least one alternate class for each time. A Scout must have a full schedule, no free periods.
- In the MBC-PreWork document, you will find pre-work for some of the merit badges which must be completed before the first class. Also, any additional fees (paid to the merit badge counselor) are listed.
- In the MBC-FAQ document are Frequently Asked Questions with more helpful information.
- Do not complete registration online. Turn in your merit badge requests to me along with alternate choices and $15 fee.
Please turn in your selections to me by Tuesday November 6th. Do not hesitate to call if you have any questions. Fred Matthews